Sunday, April 25, 2010

after

I started with a men's navy t-shirt.
Turned it into this:


And then this:




I've worn it two days in a row now, so I guess I like it. It's not perfect, but really, who needs perfection when pretty darn good is FREE? I drew a little pattern for the shape that I wanted on the neck and then cut it out of a men's white t. Then I added trim (also cut from the men's t), buttons and eyelet ruffles to it, and sewed it onto the shirt. Then I added more of the trim around the neck to finish it. The neck is the only wonkey part, and I may see if I can smooth out a few of those spots one way or another. But if not, I'm happy.
This is my fourth shirt for Spring Top Week. The fifth and final shirt is in the works. And I'm excited.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Very cute, I am impressed. I have a dress that could use your expert transformation skills. Though, you may have inspired me to try it fix it up all on my own!

MaryPosa said...

You are hot, your yellow hair is hot, and your sewing abilities make you even more hot.

in summation: Katie = Hotness.

Andrea said...

Love the transformation!

I have a weekly Thursday blog party especially for people to share things they've made to be worn. Stop by if you'd like!

TheTrainToCrazy.com

Holly said...

oh, heh... I see where you did do instructions! sorry, thanks. but the gathering around the neck is the coolest part -- how does it work??

team cowan said...

Grace - For the gathering around the neck you just put elastic thread in your bobbin (wind it by hand without stretching the thread at all) (this is called "shirring") and use it as you normaly would. I just sew a line around the neck line and it gathers it. The more rows of elastic thread you sew, the more bunching you get. It's super easy! And remember to have the elastic on the side of the garment that won't be showing! There are tons of tutorials out there on how to shirr. Check it out, it's way fun!